Friday, July 1, 2011

family traditions

I'm trying to remember family traditions I had growing up for the 4th of July.

I know if we were at Grandma and Grandpa Bechtold's house, the fireworks would not disappoint.
If we were in Kansas, we went to Uncle Steve's.
If there was a pool around and the weather permitted, I'm pretty sure we went swimming.
I can almost always remember potato salad and cook outs with themed paper goods.
Sparklers and ice cream.

Once I started dating Scott, I went with his family to various friends' homes and then to Augusta lake for the fireworks show and homemade ice cream several years in a row.

I know my childhood allowed for the celebration of holidays in different places every year. I can't say that I remember doing the same thing every year for any holiday. But one thing I do know is we were always surround by people - family, friends, church community. I love that the 4th of July isn't just about celebrating our independence...it's about being and celebrating with community as well.

I wonder if I should implement any simple traditions for Lucy and Elly? Maybe I could get them Sparklers...are those even legal in Tucson?

No comments: